Here are 10 definitions you may find helpful as you make your “booze” selections for your wedding reception.
NOTE: In the terms below, “the host” equals the couple or the person(s) paying the bill.
1. Open Bar or Host Bar – The host pays for the beverages served on the bar. Therefore, the wedding guests do not pay for any of the beverages (sodas, wine, beer, liquor, etc.)
2. Cash Bar – The wedding guests will have to pay for their beverages
3. By the Bottle – Liquor (and/or wine) is served, and the host will pay for it by the full bottle.
4. By the Drink – Liquor (and/or wine) is served, and the host will pay for it by the number of drinks served.
5. House Brand (or Well Brand) – Any brand of liquor, beer and/or wine served by the “house” (e.g., restaurant, caterer, bar, venue). This house brand is served when a wedding guest requests a drink by its generic name (e.g. house white, vodka martini, gin and tonic). It is the least expensive liquor, beer, and/or wine brand served, as opposed to the more expensive Call Brands.
6. Call Brand – A specified brand of beer, liquor, and/or wine selected by a wedding guest according to personal preference. Usually, it is a higher quality than house brands.
7. Premium Brand – A specified brand of beer, wine and/or liquor selected by a wedding guest according to personal preference. This brand is sold at a higher price point than the call or house brands.
8. Corkage Fee – A fee that is charged on beer, liquor, and wine by a caterer, venue, or restaurant. The fee is charged to the host because they brought in (and purchased) the beer, liquor, and/or wine from someplace else.
9. Sommelier – A wine steward, expected to have an extensive knowledge of wines and their suitability with various dishes.
10. Mixologist – A person, typically a former or current bartender, who is skilled at mixing cocktails or other drinks.
For more details, recommendations and instructions related to your wedding day food and beverages, download our planning guidebook for your wedding day cuisine.
Love & Soul Always, Kawania